Label Your Boxes Clearly
ZippyU boxes come affixed with storage labels. Please make sure every label is filled out CLEARLY prior to pick up. Moving specialists will affix storage labels and tags to all a la cart items during pick up.
The following information must be present on all boxes:
- Full name
- Phone Number
- Box #
- Move-in address
If you are using your own boxes, please make sure the above information is written on all four sides of the box.
What can’t I pack?
Here is a list of items you cannot and should not store with ZippyU:
- Jewelry, coins, cash, and collectables
- Items of intangible value
- Extremely fragile items
- Illegal substances
- Anything flammable
- Hazardous materials
- Nail polish/nail polish remover
Protect Your Belongings
The most common error made in packing is failing to properly protect your items. Failure to secure and pack items properly can cause damage to your stuff. Please consider the following suggestions when packing your boxes for storage with ZippyU:
- Make sure items in your boxes are secure enough so that they cannot move around. Use clothing, towels, blankets, or crumpled newspaper to fill open spaces.
- Utilize bubble wrap, towels, blankets, newspaper, or clothes to pack fragile items.
- If you can, use the original boxes to pack computers and other electronics. This will ensure your items remain safe during transport.
Don’t Over Pack!
Do not over pack your boxes. Avoid placing multiple heavy items, such as textbooks and shoes, into one box, instead separate into multiple boxes. This will prevent boxes from breaking and ensure our movers don’t break their backs!
- Try to place heavier objects in the center of the box to evenly distribute weight and again prevent breakage.
- Boxes may not weigh more than 70lbs. Overweight boxes are subject to additional storage fees.
Securely Seal Your Boxes
Utilize quality, packing tape when securing your boxes for storage. Packing tape is provided in every supply kit, but if you feel you need more please purchase pressure sensitive plastic tape. Do not use duct or masking tape. We suggest securing every box (top and bottom) with three pieces of packing tape to prevent ripping or opening during transportation.
- File Cabinets/Desks/Drawers: Tape all drawers closed, and cover with plastic or cardboard to prevent scratching or damage during handling.
- Futons/Couches: Cover mattress with plastic or purchase a mattress or furniture cover.
- Refrigerators: Unplug your fridge TWO DAYS before move out to ensure it is completely defrosted by pick up. Tape the door shut and secure all lose shelving.
- ZippyU reserves the right to refuse pickup of refrigerators that have not properly been defrosted
- Furniture: Make sure all items are wrapped in plastic and have been properly labeled. ZippyU is not responsible for the loss of lose hardware.
- A la cart items: In general, please wrap and secure all a la cart items. Wrap and tape down power cords, drawers and any lose or moving part.